Tuesday, December 9, 2008

School Notes Home

Each day when my son L. gets home, I grab his backpack first thing and rummage through it for his notebook. This notebook dates to the beginning of the year when his teacher Mrs. R. started sending notes home on his progress and little things that happen during the day that I might have an interest in. Some days say he's had a good day, was cooperative, did his work, etc. Some days aren't so great. He was stubborn, refused to follow his schedule, etc.
The entries that I like best are the ones that tell me a little story about some funny thing he did that day. For instance, he said he wanted to play doctor. The teacher's assistant cheerfully agreed, even after L. said he was going to give her a shot. Well, the poor woman got the shock of her life when he stuck her with a straight pin. Not that I'm laughing at her misfortune, but for some reason this really made me laugh. The other day a little girl in his class had a birthday party. He promptly ate the piece of cake he was given and then went over to her and opened his mouth wide and tried to get her to feed him her cake.
His teacher Mrs. R. said that one day a child in her class was having a melt down, L. tried to push them aside and as he said, "I'll deal with this." Apparently he thought he could do better. So while I cringe at the entries that state he had a bad day, I find great joy in the little laughs I get from the other stories I get to read.

1 comment:

Elisabeth Taylor said...

That is hilarious! I'm going to start sending a notebook with Mark.